Help Violet's Family

Sunday, February 3, 2013

The start of our journey

The start of our story

Written by Desiree' (Violet's mommy):

On January 16th, 2013 our lives were forever changed when Violet was diagnosed with a very rare form of pediatric brain cancer 
(choroid plexus carcinoma) and a large mass was found. 

Our girl is strong and cuddly, determined and sweet.  She loves baby dolls, reading books, Mickey Mouse and pizza.  She recently learned to walk and her vocabulary is expanding every day.



Her father and I met in middle school.  We dated for 7 years, and have been married for 2.   Violet was a VERY wanted, dare I say needed child.  I've wanted to be a mommy for as long as I can remember, and Violet is our dream come true.  Violet and I spend 24 hours a day every day together.  I was very lucky to even be able to take her to work with me every day.  We were never apart.   I don't know how to be me without her.

We are very grateful that we live in Columbus and were therefore admitted to Nationwide Childrens Hospital.  One of the top hospitals in the nation.   After the mass was found we were immediately admitted and within 48 hours we were in neurosurgery.  Dr. Eric Jackson is an amazing neurosurgeon who spent 16 hours operating and removing the entire tumor.  His determination has inspired us and has given us the best possible start on this terrifying journey.  Violet is a couple weeks out of surgery now and is stronger and happier than we have ever seen her.   She has been the leader thus far and has show amazing courage and resiliance.  As this is a very rare form  cancer we are not given a lot of information on what to expect. It has been more terrifying than you can imagine.  Violet will be starting 6 rounds of very aggresive chemotherapy on Wednesday February 13th. 

This is the darkest time of our lives but we have seen so much love and Violet has been a light in the darkness.  She smiles and keeps us laughing.


Violet is writing her own story and she has lots of  love and support. 

We are a young family and were not prepared for this blow on any level.  Including financially, we have health insurance but are already overwhelmed by the medical bills and cost of trips back and forth to the hospital and missed work to be with her thru treatment. Prior to this diagnosis I worked as a nanny and so I have lost my job and half of our family's income.  It is a very uncomfortable position to have to ask for or accept help.  But, we are blown away by the love and outpouring of support for us, and we are forever changed and grateful.  Thank you for being part of our Violet's story. 

6 comments:

  1. So glad you are sharing! Much love to the Montgomery's and Murphy's! Dionna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard! Our babies are so sweet and innocent! Briel has taught me so much through this last year of craziness! Violet will continue to suprise you every day! Her strength and ability to bounce back from what would keep us down will astound you! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... will be following your story closely and sending up prayers for you and Violet daily!!! Ask for the help you need... it will come! May you be richly blessed!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Adams family will be praying for little Violet and her family. I have been friends with her daddy for about 15 years and Charlie is the nicest guy you could meet. Please give.
    Much love and luck,
    Steven & Misty Adams

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the kids told me last week I was devastated.I am so sorry and would take her place in heart beat . I love you all and keeping you in my prayers as always. If there is anything you need please call .give her a big ole huge and kiss for me.You and Charlie are amazing parents and I know you guys will get through this with flying colors.

    All my love to guys
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so sorry for everything you and charlie are going through I wish there was something I can do. Just keep going its crazy how strong our children are. so much stronger them we are... I beleave she is as strong as her mommy and daddy... childrens neroligy department is great ive been going to them for a couple years as my son Zane has had migranes for years and we reently found out he has swelling on his brain. Just keep your head up I beleave she will make it through all of this stronger then ever...

    Love
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete